Paseo Del Norte/I-25 Interchange Reconstruction Project
New Mexico Department of Transportation
Challenge: Encourage voters to approve bond funding for a badly needed $93 million transportation project in one of the busiest transportation corridors in central New Mexico. Additionally, communicate ongoing construction impacts to more than 300 businesses and more than 70,000 daily commuters affected by construction.
Approach: CWA Strategic Communications worked with the New Mexico Department of Transportation and City of Albuquerque to educate voters on the project, which was overwhelmingly approved in the 2012 election. CWA created a brand for the project and disseminated information about its major features, funding and local and statewide benefits. CWA also formed a Business Advisory Group charged with keeping businesses informed about ongoing construction impacts, developed a website, set up a text message notification system for daily real-time alerts on construction impacts, and worked with the media to get important information out about the project during the 14-month construction period.
Results: The project was finished on time and on budget and garnered extensive media coverage.
- Subject of 1,791 broadcast stories reaching an audience of 92,417,200
- Subject of 135 print stories reaching an audience of 19,303,063 (with duplications)
- Wrote and distributed 51 news releases and planned and implemented five news conferences
- Made presentations to 40 community, business, neighborhood and civic organizations
- Received more than 75,000 unique website visits
- Sent out 144 email notifications and 535 text messages to a subscriber database of more than 5,000 individuals
Services: Brand Identity, Media Placement, Creative Services, Social Media, Owned Media, Public Relations, Community Outreach, Media Relations, Advertising