San Juan-Chama Drinking Water Project
Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority
Challenge: From 2004-2008, CWA Strategic Communications assisted the Water Authority with communications during construction of the $375 million San Juan-Chama Drinking Water Project, one of the largest public works projects in New Mexico history.
Approach: To keep in touch with the estimated 350,000 stakeholders affected by the project, we coordinated with eight engineering firms, eight contractors, numerous subcontractors and the public on a daily basis. We created and maintained a comprehensive website, disseminated a bimonthly electronic newsletter, delivered thousands of flyers, created and placed educational public service ads and videos and made presentations to neighborhood associations, businesses and civic groups.
Results: While the project affected literally every area of Albuquerque, overall understanding of its need and purpose was positive. During the four-year project we:
- Distributed more than 35,419 flyers and more than 225 videos
- Received more than 648,626 website hits
- Resolved 220 complaints via email and 738 complaints via phone
- Distributed 3,701 copies of project tabloid/insert
- Attended more than 500 neighborhood/resident meetings
- Earned $159,811 in media coverage
- Placed more than $100,000 in print and radio advertising
Services: Brand Identity, Media Placement, Creative Services, Social Media, Public Outreach, Owned Media, Public Relations, Media Relations, Advertising